Monday 19 March 2018

What Do I Do Now?

It's the day after one of the best days of my life as a broadcaster, and I'm absolutely wiped still thanks to the late night arrival into my fair city and the early morning alarm clock for work. With the high of seeing the University of Manitoba Bisons women's hockey team winning a gold medal starting to wear off, it occurred to me as I sat at work today that I now have a ton of free time on the weekends. There are no additional games until October, and the season is officially over with the gold medal victory. What do I do now?

I get that this happens every season to athletes and people associated with teams once their seasons are over. It's no surprise that some athletes struggle to fill their time productively while others hit the gym, do celebrity and charity work, and represent the team at various events. I've gone through this feeling a number of times myself after competing at high-level sporting events, and you kind of feel numb that the grind is over. That's how I feel right now.

To me, this is a weird feeling. If I were playing, I could see this being a feeling I might have. As a broadcaster, though, I've never expected to feel like there should be more after a season of travel and calling nearly forty university games. It's like an empty feeling that I'm sure will go away, but it feels pretty weird to be wishing my weekends coming up were spent inside a rink.

I do have some stuff I want to get done, and the time on the weekends will be good to accomplish some of those projects. I'm hoping to get one of those projects done this weekend with a little luck, so I guess that feeling will go away shortly. If it seems like I'm a bit of a busy-body, I like to keep my mind occupied when working at home. A couple of these projects will introduce me to new skills as well, so I want to be sure that I'm learning while doing something awesome. I'm all about acquiring new skills and abilities!

In any case, it's an early night for me. I desperately need some sleep as the bags under my eyes are suggesting, so I'll get cracking on this blog again tomorrow!

Until then, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: