Friday 5 October 2012

Getting Older

I'm not normally into wishing people a happy birthday on my blog, but I'm taking time out today to do this. You might be wondering why I'm doing this, but you'll probably figure it out as you read through the list of names. Honestly, there are some impressive hockey talents that were born on this day, and there was also one unimpressive hockey talent born today. I'll let you decide who is whom.
  •  Marion Lemieux - the owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins turns 47 today.
  • Patrick Roy - the co-owner, GM, and head coach for the Quebec Remparts turns 47.
  • Fredrik Olausson - the assistant coach for HV71 in Sweden turns 46.
  • Lorne Chabot - the first hockey player to appear on the cover of Time magazine would have been 112. He passed away in 1946.
  • Roy Conacher - the last man to wear #9 for the Red Wings before Gordie Howe did would have been 96 today. He passed away in 1984.
  • Dean Prentice - the man most often called "the most underrated forward of his era" turns 80 today.
  • Gary Edwards - the career back-up goalie, most notably behind Rogie Vachon in Los Angeles, turns 64.
  • Michael Grabner - the speedy Austrian and 2011 Calder Trophy finalist turns 24 today.
  • Sven Baertschi - the Swiss blue-chip Flames prospect who made his NHL debut against the Winnipeg Jets turns 20 today.
  • Jean Perron - the 1986 Stanley Cup-winning coach with the Canadiens and current coach of Israel's men's team turns 66 today. 
  • Teebz - lover of hockey history and author of HBIC turns 30-something today.
So it's pretty clear that the last name on that list is the hack. I mean, the vast majority of the people listed above him have accomplished some pretty cool stuff. Needless to say, I hope all of the people on the list have an excellent and fun birthday, and that they all have another great year if they are still vertical on this planet.

As for me, I'm going to take it easy and just relax. I need a break from being busy. The best birthday present I can receive today will be peace and quiet! I'm looking forward to spending a little time with my better half, and just taking it easy.

Sometimes, the best times are when you do very little.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: