Tuesday 15 February 2011

False Advertising?

I received an email from a gentleman named Matthew the other day, and I thought it was really nice that he had selected my blog to be part of his article entitled "Drafting Like a Pro: Top 50 Blogs for Fantasy League Lovers". However, I started to question my blog's appearance on this gentleman's site once I clicked the link to his article, and it became apparent that he had no clue about what my site was about once I read through his article.

The title of the blog that I am linked to is "MBA Degrees Online". In no way, shape, or form have I ever spoken about obtaining any sort of degree online, let alone an MBA degree, yet here is a site designed specifically for this. How would a Canadian site that talks about hockey end up on a site that is designed to help people find a degree online?

I was curious about this gentleman's site, so I clicked on the "About Us" page to read a little bit about why this site may want to be associated with HBIC. Strangely, there is little to nothing that would provide me with a reason to search an "MBA Degrees Online" site for hockey information at first glance. As per the site,

"Mbadegreesonline.com was created in 2010 by Matthew Oliver. I created this website during my search for an MBA degree program that was right for me. There are clear benefits to have an MBA degree in the job market today, so finding the right campus and courses were a main priority. After looking at many school's websites and researching what program suited me best, I decided to make a site that listed all the information in one place.

"An MBA is a highly regarded degree, and each college site I visited had different statistics and various programs that were impossible compare to the other. After compiling a long list of numbers and facts, I was able to confine this data to a complete list of programs that offer an MBA Degree along with a link to basic information about the program. My goal is to help future students like myself navigate easily on one website and find the right school that fits their needs.

"I frequently update the information listed on the site. As I do not make any money off this site, and considerable tied down with school work, I tend to check in with it weekly. If you notice any MBA programs left off the list or errors on the page, please do not hesitate to email me and I will make the corrections accordingly."
This website seems kind of non-sports in its intention, no? But his intentions seem to be in the right place to help students being that he wants to help future students like himself "navigate easily on one website and find the right school that fits their needs".

Moving on to get to the blog section, we find the blog links in here to be fairly comprehensive in their information: "How to Design Sure-fire Customer Referral Programs", "Top 25 Blog Posts for Saving Money on Your Cell Phone Bill", and the said "Drafting Like a Pro: Top 50 Blogs for Fantasy League Lovers" but to name a few. In fact, those seem to be the only blog entries thus far.

So how does Matthew include HBIC in a blog post about fantasy league drafting when HBIC offers nothing about that subject? In fact, the description about HBIC is something out of fantasy:
"Hockey Blog In Canada: Learn how to keep an eye out for sleeper players and what strategy you should use when working in a league with more than 10 teams."
Say what!?! Was HBIC honestly described as a site where you can "learn how to keep an eye out for sleeper players and what strategy you should use when working in a league with more than 10 teams"? Seriously?

Readers, I'm sure you're aware that I have never once told anyone who to pick in a fantasy draft or even how to wade through the vast amounts of stats through at you in a fantasy pool. I can tell you, however, that the information Matthew used in describing HBIC is entirely false, and not kosher with HBIC.

I guess it's true that not everything you read on the Internet is true. And now I have proof.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: